Sunday, January 11, 2015

First Post

Like most young girls, I have always wanted to be a princess growing up. All the princesses in Disney movies like Cinderella, Snow White, and Princess Aurora were beautiful and ended up with the handsome prince in the end. I thought the key to a "happily ever after" lay with their luscious curls and long colorful dresses. This led to a period in my childhood when my room was decorated with all things Disney, with my favorite item being a silver tiara that I would wear all around the house.

I eventually grew out of that phase, but it remains an integral part of who I am. When I read the title for this writing course, I was immediately overcome with nostalgia. I chose to take Decoding Disney because no matter how old I am, I still love to see the princess and the prince find true love or sing along to "I'll make a man out of you" while cheering on Mulan.

From this course, I hope to analyze, dissect, and discuss the themes and characters in Disney movies. Re-watching the classic films will help me notice subtle motifs or messages that my younger self hadn't been able to. I am especially interested in studying whether these films have a great influence on the way children think and perceive race and gender roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment