Monday, March 2, 2015

The Lion King

The Lion King is one of my favorite Disney movies! The character complexity and development in this film is a stark contrast to the bland storyline and characters in previous works by Disney. The Lion King actually touches on a plethora of topics such as life, death, family, power, identity, acceptance of the past, balance of nature... the list could go on. The animation is brilliant and beautifully done. The scenery of the savanna is incredible... and the music omg. "The Circle of Life" got me movin' with the beat and "Can you feel the love tonight" got me feeling like this:


Also when Mufasa died, it almost made me cry. I would never have thought that an animated movie could get me so emotionally involved with the characters, but somehow I found myself empathizing with Simba and harboring great hatred for Scar. I wanted to give Simba a hug and caress/pet him when he ran away feeling guilty and thinking he murdered his own father. One of the most amazing moments in the film was when Simba decided to return. It really highlighted the bravery and the strong sense responsibility Simba possesses. 

Watching this classic movie years later helped me notice things that I had overlooked before. The ending of the movie made me realize that while Hakuna Matata is a great motto, there are times when you will have worries and instead of running away from them, you need to face your problems, fears, and mistakes. Although this is an animation with animals as the main characters, the plot can be easily translated over to our own lives, which makes The Lion King unforgettable and relatable. 

FUN FACT: The movie was originally going to be called King of the Jungle, until the filmmakers realized that lions live on the savanna, not in the jungle... LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment