Friday, February 20, 2015

The Little Mermaid

I had read The Little Mermaid as a picture book when I was young, but I've never seen the movie. Side note, some of my friends ask me why I even took this class because I'm not familiar with many of its films and characters. I would just like to point out that I chose this class because I was interested in dissecting and discussing the influence of the Disney empire! I don't think one necessarily needs to be a Disney fan to be in Decoding Disney...

Anyway, I digress - back to the blog post about my response to the film The Little Mermaid. I enjoyed it so much more than Snow White. The storyline, the animation, and the soundtrack all saw huge developments since Snow White. Ariel is the typical teenager - curious and mischievous with the tendency to disobey orders from the parental figure. She has a kind heart but is naive (as showcased by her decision to make a deal with Ursula). Also, I loved the soundtrack! The songs "Under the Sea" and "Kiss the Girl" are my favorites. I thought all the songs contributed to the development of the storyline as well as having catchy melodies.

One complaint I have with this fairy tale is the fact that Ariel gave up her most prized possession (her beautiful voice) for a chance to be with her one true love. I don't think that a sixteen year old is capable of knowing what "love" is, especially with a man she has only seen once. Furthermore, I was unhappy with King Triton's decision to make Ariel a human. Why couldn't the prince become a merman? Why is it the female who has to sacrifice being with her family and abandon her species?


No comments:

Post a Comment