Saturday, February 7, 2015

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

This class is making me realize that I was not very Disney-immersed while growing up. I haven't seen many of the "classic" Disney movies, including Snow White. To be frank, I'm glad I started the film with low expectations because it really was not that great. I found the plot predictable, the characters one-dimensional, and the soundtrack mediocre at best.

My first major issue with Snow White was the plot. Almost three-fourths of the movie was about Snow White living with the seven dwarfs. Sprinkled with a few musical numbers here and there, the story line was bland and boring. I kept looking at the time remaining and wondering when the climax would occur. Then BAM! in the last 20-30 minutes of the movie Snow White eats the poisoned apple, evil Queen dies by falling off a cliff, prince gives her the kiss of life (a.k.a. True Love's Kiss), and they live happily ever after. Why Disney decided to cram all the good, juicy stuff at the very end perplexed me.

The characters fell flat and I'm sad to say that I saw no depth nor development in any of them. Snow White remained a merry, sing-songy character till the end and the dwarfs were praising Snow White's beauty even when she was dead (wow, that rhymed). Also, what was with the prince appearing out of nowhere and kissing a dead princess on the lips?? I don't think it's normal for a guy's first reaction to seeing a dead girl is kissing her on the lips...

The songs in the movie were cheerful and happy, but I don't think it's comparable to the amazing soundtrack of Mulan or Frozen. The lyrics didn't convey much meaning and the songs were not melodically eloquent. But to be fair, the songs were upbeat and put me in a good mood. My favorite was the one the dwarfs sang while washing up. The animation combined with the song made the scene more comical.

Overall, I was disappointed by the film. I remember reading Snow White as a picture book and I definitely would pick that over this movie. The only thing Snow White left me was wishing for my very own prince charming... (Valentine's Day is in a week *sigh*).

No comments:

Post a Comment